Monday, January 16, 2017

A sacred second


It was a few days ago.  I was back at that intersection.  I had to go downtown, cover a story.  My mind was on that.  Or at least it was supposed to be.  The nearby street was too busy so I thought I will travel down another street and take that.  True, I would be going close to where I should not, but I would not think of that.  No I had a purpose to distract me.  Well maybe that is what I could tell myself.  That is until I came to the intersection.

Getting ready to take a right, traffic held me up.  I looked into the oncoming traffic, and there she was.  My first reaction was shock.  She didn't notice me.  A second stare, and I saw that... well... maybe it wasn't her.  Regardless, it made me think of her.  Of her friendship.  Fast and furious.  Lives lived in laughter.  Memories of playing the joke of telling her I could make her hand smell like strawberry.  Mad chases.  Her taking me to dance... HONK!  The cars behind me brought me back.  The right lane was clear.  I had to go.  But in that flash of the sacred second of memory, I smiled.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment